Thursday, October 05, 2006

Why do you do what you do? Why do I do what I do?

In the last few days, I have encountered a few situations that have made me inspect my motives for things I do, particularly that I do for God. As a disclaimer, remember I am only seeing these things from outside of the situation and do not know all the details, thus I tell it the way I see it.

First, it is Ramadan. The Koran instructs that young children, elderly in ill health, and pregnant women are exempt from fasting. However, a neighbor who is pregnant is fasting. Another coworker has said that they often will because others who are fasting will shame them for not fasting, because they are jealous of not being able to eat/ drink themselves. I have not heard anything of this sort said to them, but I do not know all that has occurred. I have however heard them during the day tell a child about William’s age in their home not to drink water and poured his cup out. Why?

Second, a coworker in another country has been very ill for the last eleven months, since she went to the village. Much of her illness could be contributed to things she has eaten that are not wise to injest. Others have done so and not gotten sick, thus she has continued to do as they do. Does she think she is not roughing it enough if she does not? Is that just her lot in life? Why?

Why would someone disobey their holy book in preference for others? Are they fasting for God or for man? Why would someone not take better care of themselves, doing reckless things? For God’s attention or that of man? Oh, but Lisa wait, do not get too ahead of yourself! Why am I in Africa? Why do I do the things I do everyday? Am I looking for God’s approval or man’s? Am I wanting a pat on the back from man or am I looking toward God to say, “Well done, my good and faithful servant!” I realize this question never gets answered completely, but rather is a day to day question, particularly with so many things to bombard and demand my time. It is a daily choice and requires constant discernment in everything I do. I cannot make choices for others, but I am responsible for my decisions. I choose to make God smile today, tomorrow, the day after, the day after that, etc.

No comments: