Wednesday, August 24, 2005

So what will the hospital be like for having the baby?

The hospital is very nice. It is, well, a hospital with white halls and rooms and very quiet. The doctor has been great. After my visit this week, I will go every week to be monitored down in the delivery area. Through that I will get to meet the midwives and such. I have not been on that floor of the hospital as of yet. The most anxiety causing thing is that they use the French delivery system, since it is a French hospital. That means the midwives will push on my stomach during labor to encourage the baby to come out. Needless to say I have heard this part is very painful. As such, I will likely wait until the last possible moment to go to the hospital. But this hospital is the best in West Africa to have a baby and I have three friends that have had their babies there with this doctor, two within the last year or so. Two other interesting factors is that the woman delivering does not have a stitch of clothing on during delivery, so I have been told that all modesty will go. But praise the Lord I will not have to have any one interpreting for me to be an extra pair of eyes, like all my friends have had. We feel like our language is sufficient especially with an English speaking doctor. Something else I learned last week is that I will have to get a list from the doctor of all my supplies and go to the pharmacy ahead of time to get them. Yes, all my supplies…baby eye drops, pads, bed pads, etc. So yes, this will be an unforgettable experience. I have also been told to expect to stay 7 days, which will make it quite an experience for Rich and William as well.
Well that is probably more than you really wanted to know but there it is. Lots of love!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa!
Thanks so much for telling us about your experience, especially during this very special time. Reading your words makes me miss you more and wish we could be there with you!!

Although a time of some anxiety, wow what a wonderful experience the LORD has given you! Will pray that delivery is healthy, safe and quick! So you can enjoy the whole experience afterward. Much love and hugs. Denise

Anonymous said...

Dear Lisa,
I am so glad that you shared those facts. It is so interesting. We are keeping you and the baby, and Rich and William in our prayers. I wish I could be there when the baby comes. Please send lots of pictures.
We love you all.
Eva

Anonymous said...

I am with the Rickettes class here in Shreveport, I just want you to know that I am praying for you guys and i pray everything goes smoothly and as pain free as possible!!!!
Christi

Anonymous said...

Hey sweet heart!! I am really excited about this new cousin, she will be absolutely precious! Can't wait to see you guys in December! Love you