Thursday, March 09, 2006

Count them as rubbish

Philippians 3:8

Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his hake I have suffered the loss of things and count them as rubbish in order that I may gain Christ…

Indeed anyone who thinks they can do anything, need only parent a child, particularly through the potty training phase. When it comes to parenting issues, my husband generally defers to me as the child expert simply because I have the masters degree in children’s ministry. But in the case of potty training, there is no degree, nay, not even a class on the subject. Yes, we learned about child development, but we did not spend long on this subject. And even if they did, since every child is unique, it would not matter that much anyway. I confess I have no idea what I am doing at this point. I often feel like that as a parent, but even more so at this point.

I count all my degrees as loss for the sake of Christ, that I might reflect Him more clearly to my child, because the fleshly part of me certainly would not. God is still working on my patience, as he is working on my husband’s as well. It is only through the mercy and grace which I have received that I am able to be compassionate toward my son repeatedly. When I am at the end of myself, He is there to encourage me. Though I may get tired each day of cleaning up my son’s mess, how much more of a mess do I give God to clean up by the sin I commit. A little pee here and there is nothing compared to that. Praise be to our God, our perfect heavenly Father!!

No comments: