Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Missed opportunities

At this very moment I am reminded how truly inadequate I am. Praise the Lord for the reminder ahead of time of where my adequacy is to come from, because I am truly not!

I have, had, a friend who lived across the street. Her husband was living in France and she was living here with her inlaws. Unfortunately the past few months have been so busy with school and the children, that I have not had much chance to visit her. When I did try to visit, she was never there. She had asked me in the past to pray for her to be able to join her husband. Despite not seeing her for a while, I had not forgotten her nor stopped praying for her. I found out this weekend though that she has gone to live with him in France. I praise the Lord for her being able to be there, but I mourn that my chance to share with her anymore is gone. I weep for missed opportunities, but I trust that she will come across someone that will share the Truth with her.

More overwhelming is the news I received this morning. In a neighboring household, a young man, maybe Rich's age with a wife an children, passed away yesterday morning. During their month of fasting last year, we had been over at their house one evening. We did not stay overly long because it was getting late for the children, but still an opportunity passed by. We know this man's younger brother better and I sort of know this man's wife. Had we shared more with one of them, maybe they would have come to faith and shared with him. Now it is too late for him, but there is still time for the rest of the family. Where do I start? It would be so easy to cast blame to someone else, like Adam and Eve tried to do, but I still bear the guilt for this man's blood.

In the states, with the abundance of churches, it is easy to tell yourself that the person at the grocery store or McDonald's has heard the truth---but it is not a given! Yes, the chances of me talking to a person who does not yet know the Lord here are greater, but it does happen there. The people here live their lives hoping their good outweighs their bad, whereas those in the states often don't see a difference in the lives of Christians around them that makes them want to know the Lord.

Who will you see today that needs desperately to hear the good news? Will each of us seize the moments we are given this very day? We have good news to share. Share it!!

No comments: